Friday, February 10, 2012

Lemon Chia Bread

Sunday is my typical day for R&R but I like to set aside a couple hours to ready myself for the coming week. This normally includes chopping veggies or bagging up Crockpot dinners to pop into the freezer for later in the month. I also like to bake muffins of a loaf of bread to nibble on through the week as a snack or in addition to my breakfast. This helps me to make sure I'm eating a well-rounded meal (veggies, protein, & carb!) without having to fuss in the kitchen when I don't have the time. Or maybe just when I feel like I don't have the time.

I've been spending plenty of time transforming old favorites into cleaner, healthier favorites. This Lemon Chia Bread is a twist on one of my favorite spring treats: Lemon Poppyseed. Much like the poppyseed version, this batter can be made into muffins or a loaf.

Serving Size: 12

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tablespoons Chia Seeds (I get mine from Nuts.com!)
  • 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
  • 1/4 Cup Soy Milk (or other milk)
  • 1/2 Cup Olive-Oil Based Margarine
  • 1/3 Cup Agave Nectar
  • 1/2 Tablespoon Lemon Extract
  • 1 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
  • 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
Directions:
  1. In a small bowl, combine chia seeds, lemon juice, and milk. Let stand for 10 minutes.
  2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  3. In a mixing bowl, mix together margarine and agave nectar. Slowly add chia seed mixture, blending well.
  4. Combine dry ingrients, then slowly add dry ingredients to chia seed mixture. Blend until just combined.
  5. Pour batter into a 8-inch loaf pan and bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
  6. Allow the bread to cool for a few minutes, slice, serve, and ENJOY!

  7. *This bread keeps well in the freezer for up to 6 months.

Did you know Chia seeds have more Omega-3 fatty acids than any other plant food, including flax seeds?


No comments:

Post a Comment