I've been spending plenty of time transforming old favorites into cleaner, healthier favorites. This Lemon Chia Bread is a twist on one of my favorite spring treats: Lemon Poppyseed. Much like the poppyseed version, this batter can be made into muffins or a loaf.
Serving Size: 12
- 2 Tablespoons Chia Seeds (I get mine from Nuts.com!)
- 1/4 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1/4 Cup Soy Milk (or other milk)
- 1/2 Cup Olive-Oil Based Margarine
- 1/3 Cup Agave Nectar
- 1/2 Tablespoon Lemon Extract
- 1 1/2 Cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- In a small bowl, combine chia seeds, lemon juice, and milk. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together margarine and agave nectar. Slowly add chia seed mixture, blending well.
- Combine dry ingrients, then slowly add dry ingredients to chia seed mixture. Blend until just combined.
- Pour batter into a 8-inch loaf pan and bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool for a few minutes, slice, serve, and ENJOY!
*This bread keeps well in the freezer for up to 6 months.